I spent most of my morning chasing a sneaky little bug. Basically, once upon a time one of our tables contained a column (to protect the innocent, let's say it was called Meaningless_Data). Several months ago, my team removed the column from the DB schema as well as all references to it in the code.
I grabbed the changes and continued on my merry way... until today, which apparently is the first time I've tried to use a function that touches that particular table. I kept getting an error:
Message: Error Executing Database Query.
Detail: Invalid column name 'Meaningless_Data'.
So it's looking for the column and not finding it. Not surprising, since we deliberately deleted it a long time ago. I triple-checked the code, but couldn't find a single reference to Meaningless_Data in any SQL statement (or anywhere else in the codebase, for that matter).
I drove myself batty for way too long before copying the query straight from CFCATCH.SQL and manually running it against my local DB. Same error. Okay, it's not a Coldfusion issue...
Then I ran it against the DB on our development server. Worked like a charm. Getting warmer...
I generated SQL scripts for the table on each machine and diffed them, and the culprit was revealed. A trigger was pointing to the missing column, and was firing every time I touched the table. The other developer had updated the triggers on his local DB and the dev server, but when I grabbed the schema and code updates, I didn't think to look there.
File under lessons learned.